As a result of amendments to the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) (including regulations), the Health Professions Procedural Code and the Business Corporations Act (BCA), regulated health professionals are now permitted to incorporate for the purpose of practising a health profession, providing they obtain Certificates of Authorization from their respective health profession Colleges.
The provisions outline the conditions and requirements that must be met in order to obtain a Certificate of Authorization from a College, and
- all of the issued and outstanding shares of the corporation shall be legally and beneficially owned, directly or indirectly, by one or more members of the same profession, who hold a certificate of registration issued by the College;
- all officers and directors of the corporation must be shareholders of the corporation;
- the articles of the professional corporation must provide that the corporation cannot carry on a business other than the practice of the profession governed by the College and activities related to or ancillary to the practice of the profession;
- the name of the corporation must include the words “Professional Corporation” or “Société professionnelle” in one continuous phase and comply with the rules respecting the names of professional corporations set out in the regulations and with the rules respecting names set in the regulations or by-laws under the Act governing the profession.
NOTE: For first time applications… once an application is approved, arrangements will be made for payment via the member portal.
Example of an acceptable name of a corporation:
Shareholder(s) Last Name Chiropody Professional Corporation
In order to obtain an initial Certificate of Authorization from the College, a corporation must complete and submit an application to the College along with certain information and documents as required by regulation. For more details please read the Guide to an Application for a Certificate of Authorization for Health Profession Corporations.
Annual Renewal for a Certificate of Authorization
Annual renewal for a Certificate of Authorization opens in September and is completed online through the member portal.
As required by the Regulated Health Professions Act, the College shall renew a certificate of authorization for a corporation in respect of a particular profession on an annual basis if the corporation applies for the renewal by giving the following information and documents:
- A completed application for renewal in a form approved by the College.
- The annual renewal fee required by the by-laws of the College.
- A copy of a corporation profile report issued by the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services or by a service provider which is under contract with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services that is dated not more than 30 days before the application for renewal is submitted to the Registrar and that indicates that the corporation is active.
- A certified copy of every certificate of the corporation that has been endorsed under the Business Corporations Act since the corporation’s most recent application for a certificate of authorization or for renewal of its certificate of authorization (if applicable).
- The declaration of a director of the corporation, signed not more than 15 days before the application for renewal is submitted to the Registrar, stating:
i. that the corporation is in compliance with section 3.2 of the Business Corporations Act, including the regulations made under that section, as of the date the declaration is signed,
ii. that the corporation does not carry on, and does not plan to carry on, any business that is not the practice of the profession governed by the College or activities related to or ancillary to the practice of that profession,
iii. that there has been no change in the status of the corporation since the date of the corporation profile report referred to in paragraph 3, and
iv. that the information contained in the application for renewal is complete and accurate as of the date the declaration is signed.
- The name of each person who is a shareholder of the corporation as of the day the application is submitted and their business address, business telephone number and registration number with the College as of that day.
- The names of the directors and officers of the corporation as of the day the application for renewal is submitted.
- The address of the premises at which the corporation carries on activities as of the day the application for renewal is submitted.